Bananas are healthy and bread is usually pretty healthy too. But banana bread?
Totally yummy but usually not so healthy. Banana bread is often loaded with sugar and oil/butter. Bummer:(
But there is hope! You can have gluten free banana bread that is healthy, low in calories and amazing. It is absolutely possible!
I have been experimenting with this banana bread recipe and am so happy with how it turned out! Not only is it gluten free, but it’s also low in sugar, contains no oil or butter (thanks to my special secret ingredient) and has far less calories than other banana bread recipes.
The best part? It tastes just as delicious as the traditional version! Are you ready to give it a try? Great, let’s do it!
Related recipe: Gluten Free Banana Cake: Healthier Version
Healthy Banana Bread With Applesauce
Did you know that 2 tablespoons of butter has 204 calories and 24 grams of fat? By simply replacing the butter, this recipe already gets a whole lot healthier.
The secret ingredient here is applesauce. Ditch the butter in favor of applesauce (21 calories) and save yourself 183 calories. You won’t even be able to tell the difference!
It’s Low in Sugar Too!
The other big calorie culprit in banana bread is sugar. Recipes often call for 1 cup or more. Well, 1 cup of sugar is 774 calories. Since bananas are naturally sweet already, you don’t sacrifice taste at all if we cut down the sugar from 1 cup to 3 tablespoons.
Now Let’s Make it Gluten Free
Okay, one last swap and our healthy banana bread recipe will be complete! To make this bread gluten free, it’s as easy as switching the flour. Use a cup for cup gluten free flour blend instead of wheat flour. I recommend King Arthur Measure For Measure Flour but other brands will work as well.
Alright, I think that’s everything. Go round up some overripe bananas and let’s get baking!
- 4 overripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups gluten free "measure for measure" flour
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the 4 overripe banans.
- Mix in the vanilla, egg, sugars, applesauce, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, thoroughly combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the banana mixture and stir until flour is completely incoroporated.
- Pour dough into the loaf pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool and then slice and enjoy!
The Wrap Up
I hope you love this healthy banana bread with applesauce as much as my family does!
And as always, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Happy gluten-free munching! 🙂