Think ramen noodles are a thing of the past because you gave up gluten?
Well, think again! Even though most ramen does contain gluten, there are plenty of satisfying options.
Keep reading to find the best gluten free ramen alternatives plus an amazingly easy (and quick!) recipe for gluten free ramen that will blow you away! Made with rice noodles, this simple recipe is so good you won’t even miss the other stuff!
Is Ramen Gluten Free?
Most ramen noodles are made with wheat which means they are definitely not gluten free unfortunately.
Never fear though! There are several tasty alternatives to traditional ramen noodles that will satisfy your craving for a warm, flavorful and delicious bowl of soup.
Check out these top gluten free ramen noodles below and then try the simple (yet totally fabulous) recipe at the bottom of this article. You’ll fall in love, I promise!
Top Gluten Free Ramen Alternatives
Throw away the ramen packets you hoarded in college, and try one of these yummy gluten free alternatives. Available at Walmart, grocery stores as well as online, they are easy to find and so so good. You won’t look back!
- Thai Kitchen Rice Noodles (Love these! They’re cheap, tasty and available at Walmart and other grocery stores)
- Lotus Foods Millet Brown Rice Ramen
- King Soba Organic Buckwheat Ramen Noodles
- Dr McDougall’s Rice Noodle Asian Soup (Instant noodles in a cup)
How to Make Gluten Free Ramen
This yummy gluten free ramen recipe is a little harder than the instant package from your college days but not much! Ready in 15 minutes or less, your entire family will love this easy dinner.
To make gluten free ramen, simply saute some garlic and ginger in oil (sesame, preferably) and then add in chicken broth, water and mushrooms.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Gently add the noodles to the broth and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and let sit for two more minutes.
Finally, add in your toppings. I chose soft boiled eggs, carrots and green onions, but you could add whatever you like!
That’s all there is to it! Pour your gluten free ramen in a bowl and enjoy!
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (other oil can be substituted)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tsp ginger, grated
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 packets Thai Kitchen rice noodles plain
- 1/4 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, soft boiled
- Warm the sesame oil in a deep skillet.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth, water and mushrooms. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Gently lay the noodles in the broth and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Top with the soft boiled eggs, green onion and carrot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 1960mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g
I really hope that you enjoyed this recipe! Maintaining a gluten free life isn’t easy and sometimes it can be downright frustrating when you can’t eat what you want. That’s why I love creating these recipes; they make eating a little more normal for us gluten free folks.
So what did you think? Were your ramen noodles delicious? Is there any other recipes you would like to see here on Breadish? Let me know in a comment below!